A survey of US school children carried out for Pearson shows that they are already mobile-ready, and expect mobile to change education and make it more fun.
- About 1/3 of children already own a tablet, and 25% expect to get one within the next 6 months.
- 43% already own a smartphone.
- 1/3 say they’ve already used a tablet for school work, and over 40% have used a smartphone.
- About half of those using a tablet for school work used their own device, rather than one provided by their school.
- The younger learners are, the keener they are to use tablets in class.
- There’s a clear preference for full-size tablets rather than small tablets.
- Younger learners are happier to use tablets for homework and learning, while college students see them as better suited to things like checking class schedules.
This simply reflects what we all know – mobile is a big (and maybe the main) part of the future of learning. The fact that as you move down the age range, mobile-readiness increases is telling. And you can’t ignore the fact that 90%+ of these students simply expect mobile to be a key part of their school experience – both in class and at home.
Join our mailing list
Get new ELTjam posts & updates straight to your inbox