Ex dancer. Organiser, do-er, tweeter, interested in how education is being transformed by technology. New IATEFL MaWSIG Event Co-Ordinator
1. What do you do?
I work at emc design, who design elt materials, I develop new clients, new projects, especially digital & research what’s going on in ELT
2. Why do you do it?
Love meeting new people & learning new things and emc is a great company to work for!
3. What’s the most interesting thing happening in ELT right now?
Apart from what we’re doing..? It would be the things happening at grass roots level, people creating the resources they really need.
4. What do you think the developments in EdTech mean for learners of English?
More opportunities for companies to exploit people! But also more opportunities for learners to create & respond to their own needs & style.
5. What do you think the developments in EdTech mean for teachers?
Frustrating for those who feel they have to use technology to be a cool/good teacher but exciting/reinvigorating at same time.
6. What does EdTech mean for publishers?
Loss of revenue, need to re-think & research pedagogy & effects on learners & become MUCH quicker at responding to techno developments.
7. Gamification: a fad or the future?
Future, not whole picture. Great if genuinely helps language acquisition but publishers need to become experts if want a slice of this pie.
8. How will mobile learning transform ELT?
More opportunities for learners to be independent & take responsibility for own learning. Exciting time for responsive design & geo-location
9. What next for online learning?
More support for teachers & learners in how to use it. Stabilisation within industry of HTML5 = easier for creators & better for users.
10. How will ELT be different 5 years from now?
Students still paying for real teachers in classrooms, but there will be better online material to support individual learning & assessment.
Join our mailing list
Get new ELTjam posts & updates straight to your inbox